Saturday, September 7, 2013

Lotoja 2013

This was going to be my sixth and last year of racing Lotoja.  I was ready to move on to other adventures. The previous year was my fifth which qualified me for the 1000 club.   I didn't have any goals this year other than finishing.

On the day of the race, there was a chance of rain along the route.  The route had changed slightly for the race classes.  Instead of riding through Benson and the other farm towns we rode from Logan through Smithfield and on to Preston.  In addition, our first feed zone wouldn't be until the feed zone at the top of Strawberry - 60 miles from Logan.  I really liked the new route.  We were able to stay in a race group longer.

I felt great on the three major climbs and was on my way to finishing with my fastest time.  As I rode into Afton, WY in a pace line of 6 others, the rider in front of me quickly swerved.  Right in front of me was a large orange construction barrel.  I didn't have any time to react.  I hit the barrel straight on. I felt myself doing a superman through the air.  I landed partially on my head, face, arms, and knees. As I laid there on the ground, a pool of blood formed behind my head.

Several people stopped to help and call my parents who are waiting for me at the Afton feed zone only 5 minutes away.  As we're standing alongside the road another group rode by and hit another construction barrel which caused about 6 riders to fall.  After loading my mangled bike into the car, we drive to the emergency room.  I received 25 stitches around my eye but luckily no broken bones.  My front fork is completely destroyed.

Dang, I guess next year will be my last.